The LitWits® Master Class on TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD by Harper Lee
April 11, 2019: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee - 1960 (you can buy the book or CD here). LitWits® Master Classes are analytic and written explorations of literature, for ages 12+. We help teens academically benefit from books in fun, unique, sensory ways. Kinetic group activities are integrated with discussions and writing, and we bring contextual evidence right into the classroom to make big ideas real and memorable. Our spring Master Classes are taught by a Master of Humanities with a concentration in Rhetoric and BAs in Literature and Theater.* Each class focuses on one pre-read work that has been selected for its literary and cultural importance. These works are well-suited for high school A-G coursework, and can be used to fulfill Ocean Grove Charter School literature requirements. (Here's an example of what we did, and the Common Core standards we met, in our class on John Steinbeck's The Pearl.) Classes cover: critical thinkingliterary structuresscholastic termsdiction and syntaxthematic evidencecharacterization techniquesdescriptive writingartistic interpretations of metaphor And much, much more! Besides literature analysis, creative and critical writing, and discussion of craft, we also explore history, culture, public speaking, working in groups, and learning how to take notes and dissect the requirements of an assignment. Students go home with a solid piece of writing, an excellent foundation for completing an OG assignment. *Writing Instructor Lisa Craddock holds BAs in Literature and Theatre, and a Master of Humanities in Film Studies with a concentration in Rhetoric, or “the art of speaking and writing effectively.” Lisa has taught classes in literature, composition, and film for the University of Colorado. Her scholarship, essays, poetry, and plays have appeared in a variety of literary and academic venues. She considers it a privilege to homeschool her own four children, avid fans of LitWits since its beginning. Lisa has led educational events for the homeschool community for several years, helping young readers understand themselves and the world through “living books.” Cost: $95 for each five-hour class includes all supplies. LitWits Workshops is an approved vendor for Ocean Grove Charter School and Inspire Charter Schools. Charter parents, please enter promo code CHARTER-MC to register, then request a purchase order or enrichment certificate. Cancellation Policy: If you cancel at least 30 days before the workshop, you can choose a refund or makeup; within 30 days, you'll get a makeup. (Use promo code MAKEUP to re-register, and please remind us, in the Notes field, which workshop you missed.) There are no refunds or makeups for no-shows. We hope that makes sense and seems fair!
350 Mission Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
More Event Ideas
- More Other Events
- APR 4-6: The LitWits® Workshop on MRS. FRISBY AND THE RATS OF NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien at Vintage Faith Church (upstairs in the Children & Youth building)Thursday, Apr 4, 1:00 PM
- The LitWits® Master Class on THE BEST OF EDGAR ALLAN POE at Vintage Faith Church (upstairs in the Children & Youth building)Thursday, Mar 14, 9:00 AM
- Saturday, Mar 9, 9:00 AM
- More Events at Vintage Faith Church (upstairs in the Children & Youth building)
- MAY 2-4: The LitWits® Workshop on JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH by Roald Dahl at Vintage Faith Church (upstairs in the Children & Youth building)Thursday, May 2, 1:00 PM
- LitWits® Advanced EssayWriting Camp at Vintage Faith Church (upstairs in the Children & Youth building)Monday, Feb 25, 9:00 AM
- MAR 7-9: The LitWits® Workshop on THE GOLDEN GOBLET by Eloise Jarvis McGraw at Vintage Faith Church (upstairs in the Children & Youth building)Thursday, Mar 7, 1:00 PM
What can we do for you?
Thank you for your input. Please fill out the form below and provide as much information as possible about updates to this event or venue.