Jan 6-10: LitWits® Mechanics Camp: Writing Tips & Tools
Fine-tuning the writing engine! Writing can't just sound good -- to be taken seriously by others, it has to work. Mechanical problems with grammar, punctuation, formatting and structure can cost kids academically. Don't let them get stranded without the necessary tools! This new camp gives kids a writer’s toolkit for avoiding/fixing common writing mistakes. They’ll learn what makes sentences run well, and how to make basic repairs. We'll teach them how to get their work road-ready -- and make the grade. We'll help young writers avoid/fix some of the most common mishaps: subject-verb disagreement improperly used commas, semicolons, and colons run-on and fragmented sentences contraction errors lack of dialogue/paragraph breaks misplaced apostrophes incorrect pronoun use/order confusion about using who, who's, whose, whom, and that common misspellings misuse of words that sound alike capitalizing (or not) improperly and LOTS MORE! We'll teach kids these tools in creative, kinetic ways: • sensory props that help kids remember abstract ideas• inspiring excerpts by master writers, for study and emulation• fun activities and projects that help concepts "stick" Instructors: Becky and Jenny, sisters and LitWits founders. Jenny has a BA in English literature and an MFA in creative nonfiction and poetry writing. She’s been a K-6 teacher and a K-12 language arts tutor, and her scholarship, essays, and poems have appeared in several journals. Becky is a literature-based homeschool teacher and a journalism major who spent four years as a staff writer for The Register Pajaronian. Both Becky and Jenny are currently writing creative biographies of two fascinating Bay Area women of history. Hours: 9am - 12pm, Monday through Friday Ages: 8 and up. Our activities are geared to accommodate a range of ages simultaneously. Cost: The camp cost is $295, which includes all supplies; children bring their own no-nuts snack. There's a $20 discount for each sibling. (If you'd like to be billed via PayPal 30 days prior, enter promo code BILLME.) LitWits Workshops is an approved vendor for Ocean Grove Charter School and Inspire Charter Schools. Charter parents, please enter promo code CHARTER to register, then request a purchase order. Cancellation Policy: If you cancel at least 30 days before the event, you can choose a refund or makeup; within 30 days, you'll get a makeup. (Use promo code MAKEUP to re-register, and please remind us, in the Notes field, which event you missed.) There are no refunds or makeups for no-shows. We hope that makes sense and seems fair!
350 Mission Street
Santa Cruz, CA
More Event Ideas
- More Other Events
- Eat for the Earth Climate Dinner and Presentation at Westside Santa Cruz address given upon registrationSunday, Sep 22, 6:00 PM
- Saturday, Sep 21, 9:30 AM
- Saturday, Mar 21, 10:00 AM
- More Events at Vintage Faith Church (upstairs in the Children & Youth building)
- Apr 16 or 17: LittleWits! Picture-book experiences for ages 4-6 from LitWits® at Vintage Faith Church (upstairs in the Children & Youth building)Thursday, Apr 16, 9:00 AM
- JAN 23 or 24: The LitWits® Workshop on FREEDOM TRAIN: The Story of Harriet Tubman by Dorothy Sterling at Vintage Faith Church (upstairs in the Children & Youth building)Thursday, Jan 23, 9:00 AM
- OCT 31 or NOV 1: The LitWits® Workshop on HOMER PRICE by Robert McCloskey at Vintage Faith Church (upstairs in the Children & Youth building)Thursday, Oct 31, 9:00 AM
What can we do for you?
Thank you for your input. Please fill out the form below and provide as much information as possible about updates to this event or venue.